Tuesday 1 November 2011

The JOYS of my youth


Been asked recently what is the greatest thing I have ever done??? This made me think as far back as my 26 years on this earth would let me, jeez what have I done...what am I doing...and what am leaving behind if I go.


So hence here I sit trying to recall the many joys of my youth and put them into articulate sentences.

I have been blessed enough to travel some of the world; England, Norway, Denmark, Amsterdam, Germany, Russia, Tibet, Australia and every province that my South African home has provided me with.

I have slept on trains heading to destinations I to this day cannot even pronounce, I have sang and danced in cultural festivals, been to many temples and churches across the globe. I have sat with friends on a boat drifting on the Sandefjord river, watching the sunrise.

I have built relationships that have stood the test of time and distance, I have seen the effects of wars and genocide first hand. I have worked in refugee camps, spent my time at the Blue Cross and had my religious awakening in the company of one of the most enlightening religious men I know.

In my youth I have had the opportunity to find myself, to define my own space and live within it. To see the world as both big and small, to change lives and have my own transformed in the process.

I have cried great tears of heartache and just as many of joy and passion.I have lived without regret or the defines of my culture, race or creed.

So the greatest thing I have ever done is to find myself and it would not have been possible without all the experiences and all of the people along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment