Monday 19 December 2011

The Festive Buzz

I find myself hating the rush that comes with the festive season, the money people waste on idle things. Having spent the last few days setting up our tree and trimmings, I find myself in deep thought about Christmas and its true meaning.

When I was a little girl I always found it to be magical, the constant laughter and excitement in our house around this time of the year. My cousins, aunts and uncles all coming by to say “hi” and wish each other well. I remember for all of my childhood on Christmas mornings I would wake up at the crack of dawn and watch the lights on the tree and enjoy my mom’s banter as she begins preparing for the family lunch.

A Jewish friend once said Christmas is like any birthday party you’re invited to. It may not be your birthday, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the party and celebrate!”

Around the world people will be celebrating the spirit of Christmas by giving gifts and in the rush we forget that we were already given the greatest gift of all Jesus himself, a newborn baby. A reminder that life for each of us is priceless, unearned, and miraculous. And the best way to say “thanks” for our own miracle is to love one another.

Christmas is a time of reflection and appreciation for the things accomplished both big and small. 

No comments:

Post a Comment